Saturday, December 26, 2009

How often do I need an oil-change for a 'low usage' car..?

I have an '03 Kia Spectra %26amp; use it just for city driving for errands, doctor's appt., etc..I just wonder how often it needs it.How often do I need an oil-change for a 'low usage' car..?
I have the same car.


Twice a year would be OK.


Schedule them for April and October.


Most answers are correct about moisture build up.


I don't like synthetic oils. Mix regular oil with them and you get epoxy.


5W-40 oil is too thin. (engine burns it)


I use 10W-50.


Make sure oil filter is changed.


And the air filter.


Install Platinum spark plugs. ';Bosch';


Change spark plugs about 20,000 miles.How often do I need an oil-change for a 'low usage' car..?
I have the same situation with my cars and I personally change the Mobil One synthetic oil and oil filter once per year. I typically put maybe 5 thousand miles on the car in one year. However if you do a lot of short trip driving, then that's called ';severe service'; in your owner's manual and if your using conventional motor oil, you need to change the oil and filter every 6 months or 5 thousand miles, whichever comes first in my opinion.
I recommend 2,000 to 3,000 miles on any car. If it is only used for short trips (less than a mile each way) 2,000 miles. If longer trips 3,000 miles. Short trips cause condensation that contaminates the oil and can cause premature failure.
Short trips are the worst thing for your oil.


If your engine never gets to full operating temperature, water collects in the oil and mixes with combustion byproducts to pruduce corrosive acids and sludge. So, in this case, your oil must be changed every 2 to 3 months.


If you start the engine and drive for at least 15 minutes, the engine will get hot enough to evaporate the water. Ths will allow you to extend the oil change interval to twice per year.
Am I to assume that you don't have an owner's manual?





You can download one here: http://manualspace.com/2003-spectra-spec鈥?/a>





You should use the maintenance schedule that is for severe use but I don't think Kia specifies different maintenance for normal or severe use. Better to err of the safe side. [Is there a safge side with a Kia?]
Short trips are harder on an engine than long road miles because water can form in the crankcase, and without the engine warming up enough to rid itself of the water, it causes corrosion. Most authorities say 3000 miles or 3 months, whichever comes first.
I have a pickup, mid 2000, with 128K on it. at 110K, the oil pan was checked by the mechanic and he proclaimed it sludge free.





I change my oil every 6-7k, using synthetic, Mobil 1 or Castrol Synthetic.





I did not do as well with non-synthetic oil.
The common recommended intervals are 3000 miles or 6 months, whicever comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment