Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I went too long without an oil change and now my car won't start - what should I do?

When I turn the ignition, it just kind of turns over and sounds hoarse like its trying...





Should I add oil to the car manually?





Should I drive it to the oil change place if I can start it or will that totally damage the car?I went too long without an oil change and now my car won't start - what should I do?
If it still turns over the old oil may not be the problem. If it is cranking slow you probably have a problem with the battery alternator starter or a corroded battery terminal. I have seen engines make it over 40.000 miles before the engine seized. I defiantly would not recommend trying that though. Remove the dipstick and see how the oil looks. If it is thick and black or lumpy don't start the engine change it right away and take a sample to a lab to have it analyzed for metallic particles in the oil that would indicate engine damage. If you only went a few thousand miles past the recommended oil change schedule I would just change it and not wordy to much about it. Up to about 7,000 miles the damage is minor by not changing the oil.I went too long without an oil change and now my car won't start - what should I do?
bad battery or starter if the light are dim its battery oil can go 10,000 miles with out changing it check cables may be corrosion on cables clean and tighten cables if not battery starter next .
You didn't mention if you are low on oil or not. If you are low on oil, then add more to it, manually. Then you can drive it to the oil change place and get it changed.





You may have other problems than just not changing the oil, but with the info given, people can't really give you a good answer.





good luck.
Was the engine run low? Was it rattling? Did it die out or set for a while before you tried starting it?
Most likely low oil and not starting are not connected. But yes, if it's more then a quart or two low add some before you drive it. even if your going to the oil change place.





If lack of oil was the lack of starting problem the engine wouldn't even turn over as it would be siezed.
try check if you have any oil if not o no maybe you hurt your engine silly.
I just had this happen with bf's truck. Get it towed and get the oil changed, it drove after that. You might need to get a tune up also.

No comments:

Post a Comment