Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Should I change my car oil by date or time?

even if i drive 1000 miles total from a time period of 6 months.Should I change my car oil by date or time?
The only way oil will break down is due to heat and contaminants, regardless on the time passed. If you don't use your car more than 1000 miles in 6 months, you don't need to change the oil. Whether your running synthetic or regular oil, it makes no difference. But make sure you change the oil as prescribe by your auto or oil manufacturer. Should I change my car oil by date or time?
if i had your driving habits i would change it every 6 months.





most conventional motor oils can go at least 3500 miles with full synthetics getting 7k+ sometimes. oil change intervals have been increased lately.





besides, it usually costs about 10-20 bucks max to do it yourself and often double that if you get it done somewhere. so just get it changed every 6 at least and it won't even be 10 bucks a month and thats some good insurance.
If you use synthetic, or synthetic blends, you can drive up to 7500 miles on that change. But if you do alot of HARD driving, changing it sooner won't hurt.
most mechanics i have ever been to say every 3000 miles so that's usually how i judge my oil changes. i drive a lot though so im usually due for one before my stickers date comes up lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment