Saturday, December 26, 2009

How often should I change the oil of a car in storage?

I have an 86 1/2 Toyota Supra that I keep in a garage. I last changed the oil in July 2005. I haven't driven the car in 6 months, and I'm wondering what I should do to keep the car from deteriorating.How often should I change the oil of a car in storage?
You need to do more than start it now and then. You need to run it up to operating temperature for a while. The thing that kills stored cars is condensation in the engine.


That condensation is why you still need to change the oil once a year and take it for a drive every couple of months.How often should I change the oil of a car in storage?
3 times a year but if your not driving the WHY
If you're not going to start it regularly, you should disconnect the battery, remove the spark plugs, and squirt a little engine oil onto the tops of the cylinders. Also, you can jack up the car, removing some pressure from the tires, and set it on blocks to save the tires. At least once every few months, you should go and crank the engine, in order to keep the cylinder walls lubricated, so they don't rust. Add a fuel stabilizer to the gas so that it doesn't deteriorate. When you intend to drive it again, replace the plugs, and add fuel dryer to the gas. Let it idle unti it becomes warm before driving, and don't forget to reinflate the tires, and take it off the blocks.
you should start it once a month
sell it..
nothing much, just start the car every 3 months or so if you can. Change the oil about every year and a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment