Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I am overdue on an oil change and my car seems like it is burning gas faster. are these related?

when the oil light came on i added 2 quarts. is this a bad thing to do?I am overdue on an oil change and my car seems like it is burning gas faster. are these related?
Yes, they're related %26amp; no, it's not a bad thing to do.





Change your oil every 3000 miles without fail. Most places only charge $20 for one these days, including Wal-Mart. Most times, I pay about $30 because I have to change the air filter. Sometimes I do the wiper blades so it's a bit more.





I barely drive 3000 miles in a year. But I still change the oil promptly. Don't wait until the oil light comes on. Check the oil level every week, say on Saturday or Sunday. Also check your antifreeze level, brake fluid %26amp; washer fluid if your wiper fluid sprayer works. Be sure to check your tires too with a penny.





I drive a 1992 Honda Accord EX that's been in my household since 1993. Other than routine maintenance, the car runs like a dream. I keep track of the fluid levels weekly, check the tires, belts %26amp; rotate my tires regularly. When I had to convert my a/c on the Honda %26amp; it went to a dealership, the mechanics were very impressed at how well my car ran, sounded %26amp; looked just from keeping on top of the oil changes %26amp; stuff I mentioned above.





I also use a high mileage oil now that my car's well over the 100,000 mile mark. I didn't at first when it was just a few thousand over, but quickly made the change during an oil change visit. I won't allow the mechanics to use 5/30 or 5/40 either. I insist on 10/40 every time. Now I'm glad I have.I am overdue on an oil change and my car seems like it is burning gas faster. are these related?
I'm glad I was able to help %26amp; thanks for the best answer choice too. Report Abuse

Yes they are related...the engine has to work harder with dirty oil causing it to use more gas...also you should check the level of your oil before adding any oil...if u need to add any then 1 quart is usually enough and if you needed to add 2 then it is way more than just overdue for an oil change or something is wrong
I hope you checked to see if you added the right amount so you didnt overfill. And if anything if you were overdue your gas would burn slower because the oil thinned out over 3000 or however many miles you ran it, so it's getting optimal fuel economy but poorer protection.





You can generally run an oil change up to 4000/1 year safely, thats conservative however, some can run up to 10000 miles, so don't worry if it's a little overdue, just get it done soon.
You should check the dipstick to see how much oil to put in.Adding oil is essential for the motor not to lock up,but you dont want to overfill.Yes, you do burn more gas.My suggestion is to go get it changed.
Yes they are very related. Its all based on training I recieved. It's caused by fuel trim values in the PCM to be locked low, meaning a rich condition. If oil is fuel contaiminated from not being changed on a regular basis, or from a no start condition( fuel being drained into the crankcase), the o2 sensors will pick up the excess fuel vapor and adjust the fuel trim values. If you know a technician, have him hook up his scan tool to your car before you have the oil changed and read the short tem and long term fuel trim values, they normally should be around 128., but being the oil needs changing, they will be usually alot lower in values. Now go ahead and change the oil and add with fresh oil, restart the engine, road test car to the the PCM reset the values again( they are always adjusting themself to maintain proper fuel control. Now go back, and recheck the fuel trim values again, I am going to say your numbers on the fuel trims will be closer to 128 again.
Yes you have carbon and a lot of other junk in the oil it is wearing out your engine faster. Change your oil every 3000 miles and you will save on engine work

No comments:

Post a Comment