Thursday, January 7, 2010

How often should u change the oil in your car?

What's the # of miles?How often should u change the oil in your car?
Every 3000 miles is the normal mileage interval for changing your oil. Motor oils have gotten alot better since this was stated. They will last anywhere from 5,000 for standards and up to 10,000 for synthetics before it starts to break down and lose its lubricating qualities.





With that said you should know one important fact. Filters are still pretty much the same. They may filter the oil better but they still wear out at 3000 miles. When your oil filter becomes clogged it will by-pass the filter completely and circulate your oil w/o being filtered. The oil being able to last longer just means that it will protect your motor better while it is in there for the 3,000 miles. It doesnt mean that you should leave it in there any longer. The oil and filter still needs to be replaced every 3 mos or 3,000 miles.





The 3 mos thingy is there because when your oil heats up and cools down so many times it will develop a certain amount of moisture. That is why you should change it every 3 mos. Especially if it sits for long periods between driving.(week or more at a time)





Do not let anyone tell you that it is ok to go 5,000 plus miles without changing them. That is unless you only want to get 100-150 thousand miles out of your motor. People who change their oil regularly will see 300,000 miles plus and it will run better for doing so.How often should u change the oil in your car?
When should I get an Oil Change?





You will get every anecdotal argument under the sun about this kind of question.


I can picture them, like kids in third grade waving their hands in the air yelling鈥?I know this, pick me鈥︹€t's 3000 miles or eh..ehe 3 months鈥?br>

Yeah that鈥檚 it鈥?000 miles鈥?.darn she picked Elmer. And I knew it鈥?





You will also hear the stories:





';Old Clem he drove his pick-up for 20 years using a toilert paper roll for a filter.'; ';Never changed no earl.';





And: The horror story of the guy who tried to make to 3500miles before, he ';froze his engine like a pig in a frozen pond';. And there was his mechanic, chewing on a toothpick, tellin' the TV reporter, '; I told 'em he better get that oil changed at 3000 miles but ';no... He had to push it to 3500, jus' dummer than a rock. umm-ummm';





Of course the car guys:





A lot of guys who 'like' cars, (I am one of them) Do what is called ';Recreational Maintenance'; They change the Oil, check the plugs, polish the chrome, modify the exhaust. (I did it and still do) But that is all it is,';Fun'; It is recreation. (I enjoy working on my cars.) Ask one how often he changes his Oil. You will get a ';Rational'; reply. ';I change my oil every XXXX miles because it gives the engine YYYY many miles of extra life. And I only use ZZZ brand of oil because it might cost more but it's worth the extra $12.00 a Quart.


But that鈥檚 what it is ';Rationalizing';. Making a case for what he does, because, that鈥檚 the way he does it and it must be right.


He won't tell you, ';I change my oil because it's fun and I enjoy working on my car.'; And daddy says XXX miles were right.


It's the same for the 'I took my car to Jiffy lube' guys. IT is a ritual, ';I had my car serviced over the weekend, right on the 3000-mile mark, 'my Daddy would be proud.';


The guy he's talking to grunts a little and pats him on the back (Metaphorically) of course.








My truth is:


It really comes down to how you drive your car and where it is driven.





I keep my vehicles for 15-20 years, I currently have 3, I have 91 Jeep 121,000 miles and runs like new. I have 1999 Chevy that I bought new after giving my granddaughter my old 1980 BMW with over 200, 000 miles, she wanted the BMW and drives it at college. I still have a 1972 Chevy Nova 350 the odometer stopped at 230,000miles along while back. I bought it new when I came home from Vietnam, the original engine is in it. I have never had an oil related failure on one of my cars.


I use 5000 Miles as a good number, or every 4 months. If it has been shorter trips and idling in traffic for long periods or sandy/dirty conditions I just go ahead and change it at the next convenient opportunity.





I don't think you can stick a number out there and it's the rule or the correct number.


If you change too often you're wasting money,


If you never pay attention to your oil you will most likely damage or shorten your engine life.


The balance is finding what is right for your conditions. My number is 50%- 66% what some manufacturers recommend, however, it is 180% of the 3000 miles every one barks out at the first mention of changing oil.


But it works for me.


When in doubt: Follow what your car manufacturer recommends.


Check the oil often, keep it topped off.





Here is a really good article and argument for determining your oil service interval, And another Debunking of the 3000 Mile MYTH.





http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles鈥?/a>


http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm














Yours: Grumpy
i think it is every 3,000 miles or every 3 months.. i know my husband seems to be always changing the oil
Everyone says '3000 miles'. This is an urban legend. Unless you haul very heavy loads or drive a taxi 3000 oil changes are overkill. Check owners manual, usually 4000 to 5000 is the norm.
they recommend every 3000 miles or 3 months whichever comes first.
When using a regular oil it is every 5,000 kilometers. If you are using a fully-synthetic oil, it is every 10,000 kilometers.
It depends who you ask. If you ask an oil company executive, it's every 10 minutes whether the car is running or not.





If you ask the guy paying for the oil, it's once every 30,000 miles.





The optimum is somewhere inbetween. Popular lore has it at once every 3000 mi, I'm skeptical about that answer. It would mean I woul have to change the oil in my car every month.
regular oil - 3000 miles


synthetic - 5000, 10000, or 15000 (depends on the type, says on bottle)
every 2000-3000 miles, or every 3 months
No sooner then 5000 miles, the 3K figure is what companies like Jiffy Lube push and its surprising how successful they have been in getting people to believe them. Even if you miss the 5K, as long as you get it done by 7,500. A brand new car only needs its oil changed early once and the dealer usually schedules this early oil change when you buy the car.


http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm
under normal driving conditions - oil should be changed about every 3,000 miles
when the car is new it is important to chage the oil often. metal shavings from the cylindars wearing in can create real problems. After about 25k you can change it less often. I had a subaru that I only changed every 10 to 12,000 miles. My ford only gets oil changes 6 to 8,000 miles.





Think about it like this. Is it a beater or a beauty. Take care of your beauties, treat the beaters like dirt. The subaru lasted 220,000 miles, the ford truck 185,000 and the taurus is at 120,000. No problems with any of them.
3000 miles or every three months

No comments:

Post a Comment