Thursday, January 7, 2010

How often should I change my oil, after the car has sat for two yeras?

I just bought a Isuzu Rodeo (1994 3.2). I bought it because it was cheap. The problem I have is the previous owner let it sit for 2 years with out even touching it. Now I want to clean my oil up. How often should I change it? Should I use synthetic at first or will that clean it to much and allow debris to clog something? Should I use some cleaners for my engine at first or wait until I change the oil a few times? Any thoughts would be apperciated.How often should I change my oil, after the car has sat for two yeras?
I would flush it out and start over, then change it every 3 month or 3,000 miles as usual.





I would also flush out your radiator fluid and your transmission fluid, start fresh with brand new fluids there as well. I would have a professional do those things for you. Good Luck!How often should I change my oil, after the car has sat for two yeras?
If I were you, I wouldn't spend alot of money on it for starters. Any vehicle that has sat that long, is more than likely going to have problems almost immediately after you put it back on the road. The main problem is, after that length of time all the seals and gaskets will dry up and eventually crack and start leaking from not being lubricated. Get your engine flushed and keep up on your oil changes, and hope for the best. But don't expect it to last a long time.
skip the cleaners, change your oil right away. Continue changing it every 3 months, or 3k miles, whichever comes first.





The problem with it sitting for so long isn't going to be your motor, its going to be your Transmission, get your fluid and filter changed in the transmission as well, and again probably 10k miles from now.





Also, look at your tires, over time, tires start to dry rot. You may find you need a new set of tires.





Good luck with your new car

No comments:

Post a Comment