Thursday, January 7, 2010

How long should I wait befor I change my oil in my car after the light comes on?

I have a 99 pontiac grand am and my change oil light has been on for about 3 weeks because I havn't had any extra money to get it changed. I'm up to almost 4700 miles since my last oil change. Can i last until the end of next week before I have to get it changed?At that thme It'll be a month and I'll probably be at 5000 miles.How long should I wait befor I change my oil in my car after the light comes on?
5k is recommended. Many people go a lot further; you'll be fine;just make sure the level is ok and the oil isn't low.How long should I wait befor I change my oil in my car after the light comes on?
3000 miles is only a recommendation. Don't sweat it. It's kinda like the 4 glasses a milk a day thing, if you do it you'll be healthier sure but its not necessary.


Not much oil would be sold if people waited till whenever to buy it. Learn this term ';Planned Obsolescence';.


Luck
You should be fine as long as the oil levels are between E and F..





Or maybe dont change the oil forever.. you'll save around 30$
General Motors recommends getting an oil change within 600 miles of when the change oil light comes on.
That all depends on whether you like your car and plan to keep it. If you plan to keep the car changing oil frequently is the cheapest thing you can do to improve your odds for longevity, of the car. Your personal longevity is another yahoo question all together.





I owned a car that I changed the oil on every 2000 miles with regular mineral oil, I did it myself so it was way cheap to do, and when I sold it the engine was clean inside and did not burn any oil after 400,000 miles.





Change your oil. It is a lot more time consuming to replace the engine than to change the oil.
Depends if you mean the need oil light or the service light. If you are low on oil, I would just go buy a quart and put it in, but if it is just the service light I think you can let it slide for a while, especially if you use synthetic oil.
No offense but those warning lights are also called idiot lights. That one you see means your car needs oil NOW, so go to Wal-Mart and buy 2 quarts of 10-40 oil and dump it in the right spot in your engine. If you don't, the engine will run out of lubricant, the metal parts will heat up and stick together which will cost you several thousand dollars to replace the whole engine. Then read the owner's manual and take are of your car.
Yes you'll be fine. The oil change schedule 3months or every 3000 miles is only a reccomendation set by the manufactures. Just to be safe check your oil level, make sure your not extremely low, also dont make a habit of going over. If you buy synthetic oil you can run your car for longer amounts of time as well.
asap mam'
I wouldn't recommend waiting any longer. That light isn't to tell you that you need to change your oil, it means you're LOW on oil. You have 2 choices, either get it changed now, or put 1 quart in it to keep it from running out completely.
Don't worry, motor oil is just the lifeblood of your car.
The change oil light works off of the odometre. When the vehicle registers a predetermined manufacturer programmed number of miles, it will turn the light on, notifying the driver that it is time to change the oil. While it isn't dangerous to drive by any stretch, it will not do it any justice to go over the miles by too much. If you have gone this far, another 300 won't be too bad. Make sure that you do it as soon as possible. An extra $20 might sound like a headache now, but how much of a headache and cost does a new motor sound?
  • comedy show
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment